Even if you only have 1 day to recover from city stresses Hermanus can offer the break you need. Take a morning drive from Cape Town to Hermanus via Clarence Drive – a scenic trip that takes you past Gordons Bay, Rooi Els and through Betty’s Bay. Stop for coffee at Harold Porter Botanical Gardens in Betty’s Bay and stretch your legs with a walk in indigenous nature.
From Betty’s Bay it is another half hour and you are in Hermanus with many options…
- Get to know Pinot noir and Chardonnay by heading towards the 18 kilometer Hermanus Wine Route – twelve wineries on one road.
- Fancy a walk along the cliff path? From July till November you can spot the whales while exercising.
- Saturday? Hermanus offers 2 markets. One at Hermanuspietersfontein and the Country Market at the town cricket fields.
- Stroll along the beach with your dog on a lead.
- Have a lazy lunch at one of the many sea facing restaurants in Hermanus.
- Browse art on the Art Gallery route.
- Looking for something more exciting? Horse riding, paragliding, quad biking, tree top sliding – all available in close proximity.
- Visit Fern Kloof Botanical Gardens for a walk or just an appreciation of fynbos.
- Enjoy some Dutch specialities like kroketten and bitterballen at Dutchies before or after a walk on Grotto beach.
- Visiting in June? FynArts fuses ArtsFest with Winter School during a 10 day celebration of SA arts from 6 to 16 June.
- 7 – 10 August 2014 will host the 14th Kalfiefees – a predominantly Afrikaans, performing arts festival.
- 8, 9 August show case wines from Elgin to Elim at Wine Village. Don’t miss the Hermanus Wine & Food Festival.
- From 3 – 6 October 2014 Hermanus hosts the Two Oceans Hermanus Whale Festival, a family-orientated, enviro-arts festival.
Experiencing cabin fever? Head out to Stanford to eat cheese at Klein River Cheese Factory, drink wine at Sir Robert Stanford or Stanford Hills. Michelin cuisine is available at Springfontein Eats and proper Italian ice cream magic at Don Gelato.
Your day-trip will have you coming back for more Cape Whale Coast hospitality! See you soon!