I so need a holiday. A get away. A blue sky, see-through water visit to an island. I can get more specific because I know the place. I’ve been there. Mallorca.One of three Balearic Islands in the Mediterranean just off the east coast of Spain. What made Mallorca such a great destination was that there are equal measures of cultural experiences, food, wine and natural beauty. Pretty much what people say about Hermanus. The amazing combination of mountains and sea is not often found. But Hermanus is my home and I need to get away even only for a little bit. Mallorca has a wine route with boutique styled cellars and personal tasting experiences. The daily market in Palma and Sunday market in Santa Maria del Cami are great places to linger and indulge the senses. Colours, flavours and tastes in abundance. Sights to set cameras in high-speed action. My best Majorcan experiences were:
- The cathedral in Palma with Antoni Gaudi designed interior pieces
- Day on the beach at Puerto Pollenca – reminds a little of Gordon’s Bay
- Tasting wine at Bodegas Angel or Macià Batle close to Santa Maria del Cami
- Visiting the Palma food market. Lunching on Serrano ham, persimmons and stuffed olives. Washed down with Viognier from Bodegas Angel.
- Eating a tartaleta and drinking morning espresso in a Puntiro cafe where the golf course is close by.
- Walking along the promenade in Port de Sóller with dripping ice cream and shopping for Ipanema flip flops.
- Cruising on a yacht from Cala D’Or and diving into the turquoise waters. Fresh!
- Salty boquerones with sundowers – anywhere in Mallorca. The white anchovies pair well with rosé wine. A good end to a day well spent.
I’ve been to Nice and the isle of Greece (not really Greece) but I have sipped champagne – maybe Méthode Cap Classique – on a yacht. I’ve been to paradise and will go back to Mallorca.