I had a short break and visited my family in Langebaan on the South African West Coast. Besides soaking in vitamin D on the beach or lazing by the pool, the West Coast offers more variety than ever before. The five highlights of my visit include the following:
- A boat cruise from the Club Mykonos marina to Kraalbaai for a day in the sun drifting on an inflatable lilo watching life float by. This is what holidays are about. No access to a boat? A leisurely drive through the West Coast National Park also leads to Kraalbaai.
- Velddrif is quintessentially West Coast. Bokkom Laan offers a variety of small restaurants where you can have a drink while observing the slow traffic on the Breede River. This is also where you will find strings of dried, salted and smelly mullet called bokkoms. Lunch at one of the Eigelaar restaurants is fresh and uncomplicated with a choice of local wines.
- The West Coast Fossil Park is the perfect option for windy days that characterise Langebaan. It’s a drive out, educational expedition and lunch spot in one. Take the tour to the fossil site and have a peek at life before us.
- Black Eagle Brewing Company opened just over a year ago in the centre of Langebaan. They offer a small tasting facility at their micro brewery in Queens Cottage. Taste five beers for R50 or alternatively, just order a pint with a cheese and charcuterie platter. Beers called Weskus Brekfis and Moedersmelk entertains and lubricates.
- Paternoster is another day trip from Langebaan where long sandy beaches make for good walks. We stopped at Oep ve Koep for local treats and a freshly baked cupcake. Timeless Coffee served a great breakfast with good Lavazza coffee. A quick visit to the Paternoster Hotel for an update on their bar decor is obligatory. This West Coast institution is also good for drinks and lunch.
Bonus options: Market shopping. Vredenburg High School’s annual Christmas market is a must for small presents. Langebaan Dutch Reform Church is a post-Christmas market for more holiday spending. #weskus #beskus
Black Eagle Brewing Company Tel 072 884 8299
Paternoster enquiries http://www.paternoster.info
West Coast Fossil Park Tel 022 766 1606 http://www.fossilpark.org.za