There is no better way to get to Kleinmond than via Clarence Drive along the Atlantic Coast of South Africa. Voted the most scenic coastal drive in the world this entrance to Kleinmond provides the best sense of arrival visitors can hope to receive from any destination.
When in Kleinmond the following are MUST DO activities recommended by Hangklip-Kleinmond Tourism Officer Anecia Abrahams.
- Go see the wild horses at Rooisand, on the rim of Kleinmond. Here round about 26 horses roam freely on 500 hectares of wetlands near the mouth of the Bot River and they are affectionately called The Wild Ones. These horses are rumoured to be descendants of horses hidden in the vlei during the Anglo Boer war.
- Relax on the beach, picnic on the lawn or eat at the restaurant at Sandown Beach, – Kleinmond’s main beach that links to the lagoon. Or, take a paddle on the water.
- Go for a hike on one of the many coastal and mountain walks where you will be surrounded by fynbos, mountains and able to enjoy sea views.
- Shop at the quaint specialty shops in Harbour Road. Don’t miss The Potter’s Gallery. Potter Corinne’s work might look familiar as she supplies many top Cape Town restaurants with her bespoke and functional ceramics.
- Stay in one of the cottages in the Kogelberg Biosphere – the first biosphere in South Africa to be awarded with UNESCO world heritage status. CapeNature manages these eco-cabins where you’l be cradled by nature. The perfect hideaway in a typical Overberg setting.