At the recent launch of Hermanus artist Jaco Sieberhagen’s sculpture exhibition at Tokara in Stellenbosch Dr Daniel Louw shared his thoughts on art as inspired by Picasso. Here are a few notes that I took to heart.
- Art unmask the artist. It is not what the artist does that counts, it is who he is that is portrayed in his work.
- Art is a creation that is deconstructed and then reconstructed. First it breaks down and then it brings ideas together. The painter destroys before giving the work another life.
- Art transcends – it takes you from what you see to that which you don’t see.
- Art is a distortion which tries to trick the brain of the viewer. Thus art lies in order for us to understand it better.
- Art is never an illusion but rather a creation while it also adds humour as it plays with shapes.
Two of my favourite Picasso quotes are:
- The purpose of art is washing the dust of daily life off our souls.
- I paint objects as I think them not as I see them.