There’s something special about listening to a winemaker talk about wine. Part scientist part artist you get facts mixed with imagination. Last night Hermanus wine enthusiasts had a chance to hear Wilhelm Pienaar talk about Méthode Cap Classique. As the winemaker at Hermanuspietersfontein he acquired a wealth of wine knowledge over the years – from his dad, his studies both in South Africa and abroad and his many years of hands-on experience. He presented the bubbly tasting at the monthly Wine Village Wine Club get together. As a great fan I was surprised by how much I had yet to learn. The following Méthode Cap Classiques were tasted:
- Colmant Brut Rose Non Vintage (NV)
- Steenberg Brut Pinot Noir 2016
- Simonsig Kaapse Vonkel 2016
- Tanzanite Brut NV
- Hermanuspietersfontein Maria Elizabeth 2015
- L’Omari s Blanc de Blanc 2012
All these bubblies were served with a matching biscuit baked by Wine Village Sommelier Jaco.
Wilhelm added to the entertaining educational by sharing some of his wine wisdoms. I remembered the following:
- Love what’s in the glass. It was poured for a reason.
- Wine is about the occasion.
- Horses for causes is the name of the wine game.
- First attractions matter. Also with wine.
- The magic must happen on the palate.
- Wine is always a catalyst for conversation.
And with that another enjoyable evening was had tasting wine and meeting friends. Thanks to Wine Village for getting us together.