It is a universal occurance – Happy children, Happy parents! The question is how do we keep kids happy? Hermanus offers the following suggestions visiting families. Keep in mind that if all else fails there is always the beautiful beaches where kids can be kids.
- On Saturday mornings do yourself a favour and visit the Hermanus Country Market from 9:00 till 13:00. On the corner of Jose Burman and Fairways Avenue you will be entertained with live music while the kids can have their faces painted in fantasy colours with sprinkles of glitter, watch a puppet show, take a “train” ride, swing on the jungle gym… all while there’s local food, wine, beer and awesome coffee in easy reach.
- Wonderland Café at Super Plants Nursery, Sandbaai. Monday to Saturday 8:30 till 16:00 and Sundays & Public Holidays 9:00 – 15:00. An all-day play pass is only R30 per child and R10 for the adults. This includes access to the mini train. They have a skate park, ball pit, jumping castels, sand art… the list goes on.
- Shark Lab Tours at Hermanus Old Harbour. Here you can get close and very personal to sharks on a 45 minute tour at the lab which is situated on the water’s edge in the Old Harbour. Children 6 to 11 years pay R50pp, Adults pay R100 and kids under 5 enter for free.
- Benguela Cove Pirate Golf and Benguela Splash is situated about 10 kilometres from Hermanus. This is a kids paradise with an 18 hole adventure golf course and a water park. Parents can keep a watchful eye from the deck next to the golf course. This is open every day of the week.
- Junior foodie in the making or just looking for a treat? The Creation Wines Young Adults pairing of 5 delectable delights matched with a surprise drinks is just an excellent way to spend the day while the Older Adults can sip on an adult tipple. Heaven!
- Lights, Camera, Action… Sit back and relax at the Bean Bag Theatre, Whale Coast Mall, and enjoy a movie while munching popcorn. Latest productions on show.
- The Rocklands Petting Farm on Stanford’s side of Hermanus where the kids can interact with the farm animals before having a toastie while those supervising can enjoy a good cup of coffee. Bring a picnic or order one in advance. R20 pp regardless of age. R10 for animal feed.
- Walk along the Hermanus Cliff Path and see the model solar system which has been done to scale. Watch out for the perspex boxes indicating every planet and the distance to the next.
- Get all scientific and learn more about space at the South African National Space Agency, SANSA. On Wednesdays at 11:00 they have a free tour with a number of interesting interactive installations.
- Put on gum boots and tour an abalone farm at Heart of Abalone.An education in the propagation and farming of a scarce seafood delicacy with a beautiful shell. Children can feed the abalone and be educated about aqua farming. R75 for under 16s with tours at 11:00. These tours last about one hour 15 minutes.
There is no where better! #NoWhereBetter