How I savour any treat! Especially when it comes in liquid form and the setting is the Marine Hotel in Hermanus. Luxury all round. Not just any liquid but the Platter’s 5 star wines and a hotel listed 4th on the Conde Nast Traveler’s Readers’ Choice Awards. Proceedings were organised by Ula and Paul du Toit of the Wine Village who did a great job of keeping the tasting personal and educational. As we were tasting through these wines the Platter panel was finalising the latest 5 star nominations and tweeted their comments from afar.
Wines were poured in 3 flights of Chenin Blanc, Grenache Noir and Cabernet Sauvignon. A good experience as these varietals aren’t usually on my tasting list. Bubbly, Chardonnay and Pinot Noir are my besties and I welcomed the exploration of different flavours.
- Beaumont Family Wines: Hope Marguerite 2019
- Alheit Vineyards: Nautical Dawn 2019
- David & Nadia Sadie: Hoë Steen 2019
- Stellenrust: Barrel Ferment 55 2019
- Kleine Zalze Wines: Amphora 2017
- AA Badenhorst Family Wines: Raaigras 2019
- Mishca Estate: Estate Limited Edition 2018
- Lourens Family Wines: Lua Ilse 2019
- Restless River: Main Road & Dignity 2017
- Rust & Vrede: Single Vineyards 2017
- De Trafford Wines: Estate 2017
- Tokara Reserve 2017
There’s always great take-home value in tastings presented by Hermanus Wine Village as I learn about so much more than the wine in the glass. It’s the stories of the vineyards, the connections with the people behind the wines, the challenges faced and the innovation applied that humbles me and keep my interest. Craig Wessels of Restless River represented the Overberg in wine and also entertainment. Our local Trevor Noah?!
With the sun disappearing on the Walker Bay horizon and the whales showing their thanks for the wine visitors we had some lasts sips of fine wine paired with small bites served from Chef Rudi Blaauw’s kitchen at The Marine. A good Saturday night out.